The United Nations Security Council on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, issued a strong condemnation of a deadly terrorist attack that occurred in Kwara State, Nigeria, on February 3, 2026. The attack, described as heinous and cowardly, resulted in significant loss of life, widespread destruction of property, injuries, and abductions.
In an official press statement (SC/16297) released by Council President James Kariuki (United Kingdom), the members of the Security Council condemned "in the strongest terms" the assault, which they said claimed the lives of at least 100 people. The statement expressed the Council's deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, as well as to the Government and people of Nigeria. It also wished a speedy and full recovery to the injured and called for the safe return of those abducted during the incident.
The Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations remains one of the most serious threats to international peace and security. It emphasized the imperative to hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers, and sponsors of such acts accountable and bring them to justice. The statement urged all UN member states to cooperate actively with the Nigerian Government in line with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions.
The Council further reiterated that acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of motivation, location, timing, or perpetrator. It stressed the need to uphold commitments under the UN Charter and international law to combat this global menace.
The attack targeted two rural villages—Woro and Nuku (located about 7 km apart)—in the Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, near the border with Benin. The assault began around 5:30 p.m. local time on February 3 and lasted several hours into the following day. Armed militants reportedly rounded up residents, bound many victims' hands behind their backs, and executed them at close range. Homes, shops, and other structures were set ablaze, forcing survivors to flee into surrounding bushland for safety.
The Kwara State Government initially confirmed the burial of 75 victims in a mass grave as part of emergency response efforts. However, local accounts and reports from officials painted a grimmer picture. Kwara State House of Assembly member Saidu Baba Ahmed, representing the affected area, told Anadolu Agency and other outlets that 170 bodies had been recovered, with the death toll expected to rise further as searches continued in the bush and surrounding areas. Other sources, including the Nigerian Red Cross and Amnesty International, reported figures ranging from 162 to over 170 deaths, with ongoing recovery operations.
Additionally, at least 38 people—primarily women and children—were abducted during the raid. Some reports linked the perpetrators to armed groups such as Lakurawa (an Islamic State-affiliated faction) or elements associated with Boko Haram splinter groups, who have increasingly pushed southward from northwest strongholds due to military pressure. The Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, described the attack as a retaliatory act by terrorist cells frustrated by ongoing counterterrorism operations, noting that many victims were local Muslims who rejected the extremists' ideology.
This incident highlights the escalating security challenges in Nigeria's north-central region, including Kwara State, where communities bordering forest belts have faced rising banditry, kidnappings, and incursions by armed groups fleeing operations in neighboring northwest and north-central states. The violence has displaced residents, disrupted livelihoods, and strained local resources.
Earlier, on February 5, 2026, UN Secretary-General António Guterres issued a separate statement strongly condemning the attack, conveying heartfelt condolences, wishing recovery to the injured, and reiterating UN solidarity with Nigeria in combating terrorism and violent extremism. He stressed the importance of bringing perpetrators to justice.
The Security Council's February 17 statement builds on these earlier expressions of concern and calls for international cooperation. It reflects the global body's ongoing focus on supporting Nigeria's efforts to address terrorism amid a complex security landscape involving multiple armed actors.
As recovery efforts continue in Woro and Nuku, Nigerian authorities have deployed additional security forces, including an army battalion under Operation Savannah Shield, to protect vulnerable communities and pursue the attackers. The tragedy has drawn widespread international attention, with condemnations from entities like the United States, the African Union, and various human rights organizations.
The UN Security Council's firm stance underscores the international community's resolve to stand with Nigeria against terrorism while urging accountability and collaborative action to prevent future atrocities.
