Kano, February 21, 2026 – Nigeria’s Kano State is experiencing heightened political tension today as by-elections for two vacant seats in the Kano State House of Assembly proceed amid significant controversy over the exclusion of key opposition parties from the ballot. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is conducting the polls in the Kano Municipal and Ungogo State Constituencies to fill vacancies created by the deaths of the previous lawmakers in late 2025.
The seats, previously held by members of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), became vacant following the passing of Hon. Sarki Aliyu Daneji (Kano Municipal) and Hon. Aminu Sa’adu Ungogo (Ungogo) on the same day in December 2025. The by-elections, originally scheduled alongside other off-cycle polls, are taking place today, Saturday, February 21, 2026, across 1,014 polling units in the two constituencies, with approximately 535,000 registered voters eligible to participate.
INEC's final list of cleared political parties, released ahead of the election, includes only nine parties: Accord (A), Action Democratic Party (ADP), Action Peoples Party (APP), African Action Congress (AAC), All Progressives Congress (APC), Allied Peoples Movement (APM), Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), Young Progressives Party (YPP), and Zenith Labour Party (ZLP). Notably absent are the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the NNPP, and the African Democratic Congress (ADC), which had been expected to field strong candidates given their historical presence in the region.
The exclusion has sparked widespread criticism, allegations of unfair treatment, and accusations that the process undermines democratic principles. INEC's Kano Resident Electoral Commissioner, Ambassador Abdu Zango, had earlier assured stakeholders and journalists of the commission's preparedness. In a pre-election media briefing, Zango stated, “All political parties were given equal opportunity to nominate candidates. The commission is fully prepared to conduct a transparent and credible election.” Despite this, INEC has not provided a detailed public explanation for why the PDP, NNPP, and ADC were not included on the final ballot, fueling speculation and discontent among affected party leaders and supporters.
The NNPP, which previously controlled the two seats, has been particularly vocal in its condemnation. The party has faced severe internal divisions in Kano, splitting into multiple factions amid leadership disputes. The Boniface-led faction accused INEC of deliberate exclusion. Senator Mushud El-Jibril Doguwa, speaking on behalf of the faction, said, “We duly submitted our candidates for the Municipal and Ungogo constituencies, but INEC refused to recognise our party for reasons best known to them.” He described the decision as “a clear attempt to sideline us from the democratic process” and vowed legal action, stating, “We are already consulting our lawyers and will institute legal action against INEC.”
Efforts to reach leaders of the Kwankwasiyya and Abdullahi Abiya-led factions of the NNPP were unsuccessful at the time of reporting. Earlier reports indicated that conflicting candidate submissions from different NNPP factions complicated their participation, with some nominees reportedly defecting or being fielded under other platforms, including the APC. In some accounts, sons of the deceased lawmakers—Nabil Sarki Aliyu (for Kano Municipal) and Sa’ad Aminu Sa’ad (for Ungogo)—emerged as candidates under the APC banner.
The PDP has similarly criticized INEC, with Kano State Chairman Alhaji Yusuf Kibiya accusing the commission of breaching the Electoral Act. “We were ready and willing to participate in this by-election,” Kibiya said. “However, INEC only gave us four days to conduct our primaries and submit the names of candidates. That is not sufficient time, and it undermines the spirit of the law.” He described the situation as detrimental to democratic practice and indicated that the party was reviewing its options, including potential legal challenges.
The ADC's absence has also drawn attention, with some reports referring to a coalition linked to the party that failed to make the ballot. Earlier statements from ADC leaders suggested a lack of confidence in the process, leading to a decision to boycott or not participate fully.
Security measures have been robust in response to the tensions. The Kano State Police Command, in collaboration with other agencies under the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), imposed an 18-hour restriction on movement in Kano Municipal and Ungogo Local Government Areas. From 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on election day, vehicles, tricycles, and motorcycles were restricted, with only eligible voters and accredited INEC agents permitted near polling units. The Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, assured residents of adequate security to ensure a peaceful exercise.
Despite these arrangements, voter turnout has been notably low, a phenomenon INEC attributed partly to the timing during the month of Ramadan and the off-cycle nature of by-elections, which typically see reduced participation compared to general elections. Observers reported sparse crowds at polling units in both constituencies as of midday, with electoral officials waiting for voters.
The APC, as the dominant party on the ballot and the ruling party at both state and federal levels, appears positioned to capitalize on the opposition's absence. Analysts suggest the exclusion could tilt the results heavily in its favor, potentially leading to a sweep of the two seats. However, the controversy has raised broader concerns about inclusivity, party internal democracy, and INEC's handling of candidate nominations in politically charged environments.
Stakeholders, including civil society groups, have called for greater transparency from INEC in explaining disqualifications or exclusions to prevent perceptions of bias. The outcome of today's polls, expected to be announced later, could further influence the political landscape in Kano State ahead of future elections.

